Firsts and Seconds


Why is the second of something less fulfilling than the first?

"How many potatoes do you want?" I asked my husband.

"Two." I put them both in the microwave.

We ate.

The second is never as precious as the first.

Potato
The first: hot, steamy, and starchy
The second: hot, filling, and full of starch

Snow
The first: white, fresh, and exhilarating
The second : white, draining, and full of work

Kiss
The first: expectant, affirming, and new
The second: expectant, hopeful, and full of knowledge


The second is not second in what it is.

       It is second in what we know about it. 



1 comment:

  1. This is perfect. I just finished using the listening protocol in a classroom and I think your ending line fits there as well.

    ReplyDelete

Firsts and Seconds

Why is the second of something less fulfilling than the first? "How many potatoes do you want?" I asked my husband. &...