Magnified Days



Every year I have a birthday.

And everything is magnified on that day.

If, by some chance, I don't get a "Happy Birthday" within the first 10 words of my husband's or daughter's utterances in the morning, I feel hurt. On other days, we greet each other with a simple, "Coffee's good."

Everything is magnified on your birthday.

On that day, a card from my brother seems to beam as it takes a place of honor on the kitchen counter. On any other day of the year, his card would have been a delightful surprise, but would have been tucked away in a drawer shortly after I had read it.

Everything is magnified on your birthday.

When there is bickering at my birthday dinner, it seems the evening is ruined. On any other day, a petty argument would be sloughed off.

But everything is magnified on your birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Firsts and Seconds

Why is the second of something less fulfilling than the first? "How many potatoes do you want?" I asked my husband. &...