Neighborhood Tea




Yesterday afternoon, in the throes of a snow storm, a neighbor texted to see if a few of us would like to walk over for tea and banana bread.

One neighbor texted back, "Does that mean I have to shower?"

"Just put on some deodorant and we'll sit you at the edge of the room," the hostess replied.

In years past, our kids shared first day of school photos, and rode bikes down the street with streamers waving from the handle bars.

"Becca, does your mom know you're here?" I would say to my neighbor's daughter when she wandered over to our back yard at 5 years old.

"No, but it's ok with her if I'm here." I knew that was always true (though I did call to let her mom know).

We have grilled tofu and hamburgers at graduation parties and Memorial Day barbecues, celebrated Bat Mitzvahs, Christenings, and attended each others' parents' funerals. We hear updates and news, and wave while driving by.

Although none of us are dear friends to whom we turn with deep worries and concerns, these are tried and true companions who have walked alongside each other over the years.

As I looked around at those gathered in my neighbor's living room, I saw faces that have grown lines, and waists that have grown inches. Some brought slippers to wear while drinking coffee or tea together. I wore my mismatched socks.

There is something about simply living life alongside each other, and sharing history. New, and intimate, friends are necessary, but so are companions with whom we share a life story.

2 comments:

  1. So true. I too have a neighborhood like this. I feel it was fate that I ended up here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this slice! Funny since right now, we have family from two neighboring towns over at our house since they have no power at their houses. And tonight we are heading over to our neighbor's house for dinner. Enjoyed the last lines where you said "there is something about simply living life alongside each other, and sharing history."

    ReplyDelete

Firsts and Seconds

Why is the second of something less fulfilling than the first? "How many potatoes do you want?" I asked my husband. &...