Writing with the lens of a Kindergartner

All week, I have been writing with a personal lens: mother, wife, neighbor. I have so enjoyed meandering through those slices of my life.

Today I have been writing with a Kindergartner's lens as I prepare demonstration texts for them. They are in a persuasive unit, so they need a problem that they can identify with. Something they can persuade their friends to care about.

I want to capture the thinking of this age, while making the language and length attainable for them. I want my Kindergartners to "read" alongside me and say "I get it! I can write like that!"

What is something that rings true for this age? Something that needs to improve in their world? Something that is worth petitioning for? Yet, I need to also think, what is something that is authentic coming from me?

Sounds so easy, and yet it is so difficult.

I decide on safety when walking to school.

I have a go:
  • Round 1: Sentences are too long. Language is too sophisticated. 
  • Round 2: Language is more attainable, but sentences are still too long. 
  • Round 3: Just right. 

Not only do I try out this work with this lens, but I experience targeted revision.

Our students are doing challenging work. I continue to learn how important it is to take on this challenge myself, and experience it. In doing so, I become a better teacher, and writer.

What would you write?



2 comments:

  1. This is such a powerful exercise. Does everyone understand how challenging, yet powerful, it can be to teach writing like this? I would like to do more of this kind of writing as a model work with teachers. You?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would too. I was motivated to write about here by your SOL. This was a challenge to get it just right!

    ReplyDelete

Firsts and Seconds

Why is the second of something less fulfilling than the first? "How many potatoes do you want?" I asked my husband. &...